One of the key components of healthy eating is having fruit and vegetables.
How are they good for me?
Fruit and vegetables contains vitamins, minerals and fibre that protect us against heart diseases, certain cancers; it also helps with weight control, skin health – among many others
How much should I have?
The recommendation by the Health Promotion Board (HPB) is to have daily:
2 serves fruit 2 serves vegetables
How can I add more to my meals?
- Fresh fruit instead of sugar-laden dessert like ice kachang
- Freeze some fruits ahead for a cool tasty dessert on a hot day
- Aim to fill 1/2 your plate or bowl with vegetables
- Double it up – choose dishes that makes it easier to have at least 2 – 3 vegetable items e.g. yong tau foo, economy rice, sandwiches, wraps
- Make it ready-to-eat – pre-cut some cucumber, celery, carrot, lettuce, bell pepper, cherry tomato as a snack or add-on to your meal!
- Easy flavourful cooking – e.g. oven roasted carrots with herbs and spices
- Toss in stews / curries
Making it fun – the case of the rice paper roll
Having a party / catch-up soon? Why not add some rice paper rolls to your line-up?
- Healthy – easy to include fruit and vegetables in
- Quick and simple – requires minimal or no cooking
|Red||Bell pepper, chilli|
|Orange/Yellow||Carrot, bell pepper, avocado, mango, papaya|
|Green||Cucumber, bell pepper|
|Blue/Purple||Purple cabbage slaw (with some lemon/lime juice for zesty finish), roasted eggplant|
Or your favourite combination of fruit and vegetables!
Complete with rice paper, rice vermicelli, protein – e.g. shrimp, lean pork / chicken, egg. Serve with a dipping sauce e.g. peanut butter, or lemon / lime juice with chilli and garlic
Wraps, sandwiches, salads are also excellent way to put these fruit and vegetables combinations into play!
For more healthy eating recipes, check out our recipe tab at the top of the page!
If you have any general inquiries about diet and nutrition, you can contact us at our
Call-A-Dietitian hotline 983-22-983 !
Brought to you by Yim Shi Ying, Dietitian of Khoo Teck Puat Hospital
Follow us on Instagram @ktph.dietitians for more nutritional goodness!
Health Promotion Board, Fruit and Veggies, viewed 21 September 2019, https://www.healthhub.sg/programmes/56/fruits-and-veggies